BOXING

Joshua ready for huge fight – Hearn

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Eddie Hearn has claimed Anthony Joshua is ready to step in if Tyson Fury’s fight with Oleksandr Usyk suffers yet another setback.

The bout between the pair had been due to take place on February 17. However, after Fury sustained a serious cut to his eye, it’ll now take place on May 18 instead.

Fury, as well as those close to the 35-year-old, remain adamant the fight will go ahead.

Joshua confident Fury fight will happen

Some, however, believe it’ll never happen despite both men facing a huge financial penalty of £10million if they withdraw.

“It’s so refreshing for his career after so many periods of inactivity through COVID and dealing with big stadium fights and mandatory obligations and people messing around.

“He will need a rest at some point, but if he comes through Ngannou well and that opportunity presented itself, I would think he’d be ready to fight Fury or Usyk.”

Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua bout unlikely to happen, says promoter Warren  | CNN

The Cameroonian-French star has only had one career fight so far – which came against Fury back in October.

The 37-year-old was able to knock his opponent down in round three, stunning the boxing world in the process.

Fury managed to win via split decision, however, to keep his unbeaten boxing record intact.

And Hearn says that, if AJ overcomes Ngannou, he’ll then go up against Filip Hrgovic.

“If AJ is triumphant, he will fight Filip Hrgovic for a world title, which is fine,” he stated.

“Then we’ll fight the winner of Fury vs. Usyk.”

Joshua isn’t the only fighter who could replace Fury or Usyk if needed.

Deontay Wilder’s stock has fallen after he was easily overcome by Joseph Parker before Christmas.

Yet the Bronze Bomber, despite appearing to be a faded force, insists he’s prepared to step into the ring if there’s the opportunity.

 

Write A Comment